Thursday, January 26, 2006

Life As A Cyborg...

Did you know I was a robot? (This sentence instantly makes me 10 points cooler in my nephew's eyes btw)

Well, I mean I am not really a robot. I just display very automatic tendancies. I sometimes feel programmed. I go through so much of my day on auto-pilot.
My routine defines me.

I get up at the same time every day. Before I get in the shower every morning, I turn on the computer. After my shower, I play around on line for a bit. I get dressed. I do my hair. I start my car. I play on the internet some more. I eat the same breakfast everyday. I drive the same way to work everyday. I answer the phone the same way. I greet most customers the same way. I end every transaction with the same closing. I drive home the same way. I do the same things at home every night just before bed.

It got me thinking about how much of my day is automatic. Do I even know sometimes what I am doing? Am I missing parts of part of my life because I am on auto-pilot? Have I become a machine?

Now, I mean, I don't think I am missing out on life. I am living a life. I see my friends, I have wonderful phone calls with those closest to my heart that are far away almost nightly. It's a rare occassion if I don't see someone I love daily. My life is full. I consider myself a rich girl. But am I missing out on the little things because I am so wrapped up in my routine? The little things like...a flash of color on a grey day. A child playing in the snow on my street as I drive by. A little wave from my brother and nephew as I pass the school bus. A smile from a stranger in the check out line in the store. Do I sometimes miss the little things that make a life, a life?

Don't get me wrong. I love my routine. Like I said before, my routine defines me. There is safety in my routine. I have to wonder, does my routine trap me? Does anyone else ever feel like a robot?

3 comments:

Mark said...

I think you should step out of the mold before you run over that little kid playing in the snow.

How long do you let your car run before leaving? Only reason I ask is that it's been a toasty 35-40 degrees here. I can't remember the last time I had to defrost the car.

Joe said...

Your question does not compute. Please contact tech support personnel or try again later.

Alissa said...

I agree w/Mark...you're wasting your gas by running your car. ;-)

Did yesterday's "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" spark this?