Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Absence Of Justice...

It's been a rough time at work lately. One of my co-workers, the much mentioned Saltine, is going through a bit of a cancer scare right now. In fact, the clinic just called and insisted that she be seen for a biopsy right now, instead of next week as scheduled. In a small office, when something happens to one of us, all of us feel it.

Being one of the only 3 people in my office that I can tolerate and am friends with outside of work, I am scared for her. I can look at her and see how scared she is. She hasn't even told her children what's going on yet, because she doesn't even know where to begin. She doesn't know if she even has something to tell them yet.

This morning I expressed concern that she is seeing local doctors. Our local hospital is somewhat infamous for giving substandard second rate care. It makes me even more scared for her.

I think about all the truly rotten people in life, and have to wonder. Why do honest, good people always have the hardest time? You don't hear about rapists and murderers developing life altering diseases. Christ, they couldn't contract herpes from a $3 hooker on Sunset Boulevard.

They say when life closes a door, a window is opened. Or that when life takes something away, you get something better in return. What does life give you in exchange for your breast?

It's times like these that I firmly believe that there is no justice in this world.

2 comments:

Ren said...

For more on justice, head on over to my blog... I recently wrote something on the subject. And I hope it all works out.

Chris said...

"What does life give you in exchange for your breast?"

More days?