Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Mad, Mad World...

My house has been all aflutter with talks of babies and weddings. A guy I went to high school with recently wed his mail order bride. And then to top it off, I went over to my mom's tonight and my little brother's girlfriend was reading a bridal magazine. And there was talks over dinner of them having children.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!? EVERYTHING IS ALL SIDEWAYS.

And to top it all off, my mom didn't react well at the thought of my father being at Joe's wedding. She didn't freak out or anything, but it certainly caught her off guard. You can tell it was the first time the thought crossed her mind.

Well, news flash!!!


I haven't seen my father in nearly 20 years. When the time comes that he is standing in front of me, I am not going to recognize the man. He won't know me, the person I have become, the experiences he missed out on. I wonder what will go through my mind at that point in time. What emotions will I feel? Will I be able to be as cold to him as he has been to me? Will I be able to tell him exactly what I think of a man who could have nothing to do with his children for 20 years? Will I even care?

So yup. Whole world. Upside down tonight.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in touch with our dad again. Just taking it one step at a time.

The thought of our brother having children... uhh... well, it frightens me a little.

Ok, a lot.

Mark said...

I wouldn't advise starting a fight, no matter how deserved, at your brother's wedding. Just my 2 cents.

Girl Next Door said...

I wouldn't, of course. I will be just fine. I intend on treating the situation with grace and being respectful. I would never do anything to take away from the happy occasion.

Dirty Bunny said...

I don't know your dad, either, but maybe there are circumstances you are unaware of that made keeping in touch with you awkward. It would probably be worth it to sit and talk and find out what has gone through his mind all of these years.

HST said...

Just get hammered on champagne and fall into the cake. A wedding you'll never forget........

Callie said...

Just do what I do with my dad - ignore him. If he tries to talk to you, look rather bored, but be cordial.

Or - take HST's advice. But if you do that - make sure you get it on video.

Girl Next Door said...

Ok, I did the whole drunk bridesmaid thing once...no thanks.

I guess what I am going to do is cross that bridge when I get there. No sense worrying about something that doesn't matter today. Right? Right.

Adams Avenue said...

So is your brother and his future wife going to move out of your moms place before, during, or after the wedding.

I can just picture it . . .

"Mom can we use the master bedroom tonight?"

"No."

"Awwwww 'cmon. It's our honeymoon."

Anonymous said...

heh. That's awesome, Frankie.

Girl Next Door said...

Frankie...I love you.

Dirty Bunny said...

I think Tom is showing huge signs of growing up, and I think his girlfriend is a cutie.

Girl Next Door said...

Tom is making steps in the right direction.