Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sometimes Good Enough Just Isn't...

*bummer alert: sense of failure post*

My mid-year review has again left me feel defeated. I think I do a good job. They constantly remind me that I don't. I tell them I am bored, they say maybe I should just improve at my current job. I specifically say, "This line of work bores me."

"Well, what else are you going to do? Where are you going to go?" I felt like I was being told that now that they have me, I am trapped. And it's always good when they tell you that you have no chance for advancement. And that as long as I stay here, this is as good as it gets.

Just once I want a good review. Just once I want to leave here feeling good about my day's work.

When is good enough, good enough? When is ok to settle? How do you succeed in a small town built for men? How do you find a job that makes you happy? Is there a such a thing as a job that makes you happy? Have I overstayed my welcome? Is it time to move on? How long do you stay in one spot when you know that you have no chance for advancement?

Does anybody know?

13 comments:

Mark said...

Two things I'd point out:

In most cases, if you're not happy with your current job and there is little to no chance for advancement beyond that point, it's best to start looking for a new job.

Saying "This line of work bores me" is not generally the best way to get a good review and/or raise.

Girl Next Door said...

They know I am not happy. For a company that is so 'people oriented' they could really give a crap about us.

Mark said...

Well, I hear a person can make a decent living selling shots..

Joe said...

Yeah, telling the boss you're bored... not the best career move.

Girl Next Door said...

I no longer care....It'll all work out exactly the way it is suppose to.

Joe said...

Que sera, sera.

Gordy said...

We recently told every one of the 40odd people in my unit.."If you can't get up and want to come to work every day, then don't be here; Leave!" and we were serious.

No manager wants to have people who don't want to come to work. Granted, you cannot be 100% excited, 100% of the time, but you need to be up there most of the time, or as Mark says, it's time to look elsewhere.

Girl Next Door said...

The thing of it is, I am here. 100% everyday. I may not like my working situation, but that doesn't change my attitude towards the customers.

I went in and talked to someone over my supervisor. He was some help, he asked me not to leave. That made me feel some what better. It's not that I don't like the job. I thrive in a situation where I am challenged. And this is no longer a challenge. I am not wanting to sit and do busy work. I want something new. I don't feel that I should be told that in order to succeed in this company I have to move.

And...when I was not given an position based on my experience...and then they gave someone of the street that position, and tell me that 'It's a man's world. You never would have made it in that position."

EXCUSE ME???

Gordy said...

...so do you really want to work for a company with that attitude?

At the very least you should sue for discrimiation in that situation.

Alissa said...

I wish you could get out of there, you know that. But what people don't understand is how difficult it is to land a decent job in "Touristville." A teller job opening is something people would fight over. When we lived there I looked for a job for a year and a half. My theory is people have to die or retire to get an office job up there. It sucks.

Mark said...

I live in the capital of Touristville. I know how much it sucks.

Chris said...

I agree with Steve Jobs. I think to be happy you really have to do something you love:


http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html


Do what you have to do to find it, including move if you need to.

Girl Next Door said...

My ties to Nowhere are strong, I would have a very hard time leaving my family.