Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Damn All The Republicans*...

It's very seldom that I discuss anything of a political nature, but something is bugging me today. Like many states, Wisconsin faced a referendum question on Civil Unions and Same-Sex marriage rights. It read as follows...

"Marriage. Shall section 13 of article XIII of the constitution be created to provide that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state and that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state?"

Like many states, this amendment to our Constitution passed. This upsets me for a couple of reasons. I have always been a fan of equal rights. I was raised to be accepting of diversity. I am not going to lie to you, my childhood was not that to sing songs of, there was no "Leave It To Beaver/Lassie" moments, no white pickets fences in my world. I was raised in a world where there were sometimes bugs in the dry goods from the grocery store. Roaches and head lice were problems in our neighborhoods and schools. You didn't eat fruit, if you got it as a Halloween treat. You never know what was injected into that apple. I grew up a battered child in a broken home, that sat in mixed/low income neighborhoods. We were the minority from time to time. Black, White, Haitian, Puerto Rican; didn't matter. It was another kid to play with. Diversity was a way of life. This was something I took with me into adulthood. I didn't bat an eye at Ellen or Rosie coming out. I was sort of relieved when Lance Bass outted himself. It doesn't matter any to me that one of my best friends happens to be gay. It matters to me that he is happy.

Gay, straight, black, white, Hindu, Jewish. We all deserve the same rights. That includes the right to show the world your willingness to commit to spending your life with one person. I think celebrating your love for another person that way is beautiful.

Do you notice the absence of the word "marriage" in what I have to say? Well, I believe marriage to be a union in the eyes of god. I also have grown up to believe in the separation of church and State. See, this is where our government contradicts itself. They use the separation of church and state line as a cop out on certain issues. EXCEPT our money, and of course...the homosexuals (and there's a story there too). What the hell is that all about? Organized religion frustrates me in the first place, this just fuels the flame.

Ok, next point. At this point in my life, I have not yet met a person who makes me want to start planning a wedding. I can't see myself getting married. I can see myself spending my life with one person, but marriage is a union in the eyes of God. I have a hard time lately wrapping my mind around this concept of God lately, let alone making any kind of lifelong promises to him/her/it. So say I find that one person that I am going to spend my life with...without a wedding. 30 years from now, I am laying on my death bed, and my beloved has no say as to my medical decision. I am lucky that I have an older brother that would listen to and follow the wishes of my significant other, but how many people can say that?

It's just another form of discrimination and in a time when we are to resist discriminating against anyone for any reason, how is this ok?

And do not get me started on the Death Penalty...
*Sorry Mark

5 comments:

Dirty Bunny said...

Yeah, it sucks. It all boils down to prejudice and homophobia. Since when do people view the soul, which is what is actually "uniting as one", as having a gender? Bastards. Oh well, ignorance is bliss for some people.

Girl Next Door said...

Their bliss and my fist should meet.

Mark said...

Well the problem starts when government decides to get involved in things like this at all.

Marriage ceremonies and civil unions should be two seperate and distinct things regardless if it's M/F , M/M, F/F.

The church should decide if I can get married in their house and the government should accept that two people want to combine their money, property, etc. regardless of who wants to do it or their sexual orientation.

The state shouldn't be involved in marriage one way or the other, and until they decide not to be involved I won't vote for it one way or the other.

As for the death penalty? If a group of peers decides that you'll never again experience freedom for the rest of your life, I shouldn't have to pay for your life of misery. I know I'd rather die than sit in a cell for the rest of my life, but that's just me.

So when are the troops coming home? That's what this election was about right? I'd like a specific date and time so I can start planning a welcome home party. If it's not too much trouble.

Girl Next Door said...

Our coutry has always been that of excess. This is no exception.

We have over stayed our welcome, not to mention our need.

Dirty Bunny said...

What Mark said...Yeah.